Sunday, September 22, 2013

An old mountain bike gets a new life

  We went to our local Goodwill store one evening and found two treasure to our eyes, two beat up rusted mountain bikes.   The price seemed a little high for the average shopper, I think they were listed for $10 each, since all the tires where flat, the chains were rusted fast and the controls one the handle bars didn't work,  but to us they were perfect.   When I told the store clerk I would like to purchase the two bikes he looked at me like I may have lost my mind, well he may be right but I lost that years ago, this was nothing new to me.  He sold them to us for $6 each.

  We paid for the bikes and the clerk asked how I was going to take them home, I said I would have to go get my trailer.  "Well the store closes in 20 minutes we will hold them for you so you can get them tomorrow" the clerk said.  I said ok and left the store, that wasn't good for me, I was excited to work with something new.  We went home ASAP and connected the trailer and raced back to Goodwill.
Pulling up outside Goodwill about 5 minutes before they closed, I was able to get the bikes loaded before they closed.  When I came home from work the next, we looked at the bikes and weren't  sure what to do with them, so they sat for a few weeks, so much for be excited to work with new material.

  Finally I got tired of looking at them and started taking one apart.  Once it was completely apart I went inside and got a drink and sat down on the step and stared at the bike frame turned upside down.  What can you do with a bike frame, that's when an idea struck.  A bunny made completely from those bike parts.

 
  Well this is it my bunny bike, it was a lot of fun to create. The blue bike in the background is the other bike from goodwill, we started to paint it blue for another project we had in mind that never was completed.
 
  A quick run down of all the parts used shall we; you can see I used the handle bars as the back legs and feet to give it the long legged look, the pedals for the front legs and feet,  the mouth is the combination of the front and rear brake assemblies, the whiskers are made from the brake cable (epoxied on, hard to weld such thin wire), the eyeballs are what held the pedals and bearings in place in the frame, and finally the nose and tail are the reflectors. 
 
  Unfortunately to this day the bunny bike hasn't sold,  but it certainly brings in a crowd of people talking about how its made using all the different bike parts.  Maybe its the color combo, might be time to give this bunny a new spray.  Any MN Vikings fans out there want the one and only Viking bunny?
 
  We have more  worn out bikes waiting to be giving a new life, and we have some ideas for them.
Follow us Facebook to see what color the bunny could be next and other creations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment